Wednesday, February 14, 2007

These are a few of my favourite things
and they arn't kittens and mittens

Train Stations or Stations of Any Kind

There is something romantic and futuristic about them.


Phone Booths

They are so shiny and slick and fun to look at.

City Buses/ Public Transit
I love being on the bus-- it's so relaxing and makes me think that the world is a more organized and nice place. Think about it-- you and almost anyone else can go anywhere for a buck eighty.


Old Junk
I don't mean Urban Outfitters 'vintage' look. I mean actual junk-- like Elvis busts, broken lamps, people's old photographs, diaries, date-books, etc... I just like em.


Old Library Books

I love looking at old books. They smell good, they remind me of this first edition of Heidi I used to have. And even more, I love reading the card slips to see who read the book before me. The other day I took out a book that had last been taken out in 1963.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Snowflakes that stay on your nose and eyelashes.

Alison said...

I love train stations and airports in general, they're just so awesome...

Sarah said...

you mariel, i like the library book thing and bus thing too. great minds think alike. i also like stepping into a clear, smooth land of snow

maya said...

i love random old stuff too. i love the really old second hand shops in london which just sell the most random bizarre stuff.
i like your blog too

Bobby D. said...

train stations I have been in--I can always recall them clearly, even the smells. I love Gare du Nord in Paris.
Penn Station in Newark is lovely and old. Wash DC has a nice modern station, I also like subways old libraries, random stuff, and I like getting to the airport super early and just hanging out before a flight--sometimes i get there so early they put me onto an earlier flight...

Flavia Flanders said...

amazing photos, i love the first one.
cya.
+molly g+

Anonymous said...

"I love reading the card slips to see who read the book before me"
I ALWAYS do this!!!! It's one of the few things that really hit close to my heart. I feel like I'm living someone else life for a second or two.
cool blog :]

S. said...

I love old junk too and imagining their previous lives. Phone booths though, ick, usually the ones I see out in the open are filthy.

What's Haute said...

cool stuff

Anonymous said...

mmm I love those moving sidewalk things.

McDreamer said...

there's something about train stations and airports that i like... maybe it's the thought of discovering new horizons...

sara said...

I love train stations, but airports and airplanes too I love everything about them. It's really exciting to be there, yet I feel so at home. I always love to ride the marta train or bus.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.